8 Feb 2012

Fridge Base

I decided on removing my double rear seats and keep the single one in place a while ago after seeing a fellow FJer from America doing a similar thing. The intent was to use this spare space for my fridge and to increase the length for my rear drawers.

So with that in mind and the double rear seats out, I set to work fabricating a base from 30 x 30 x 5 angle iron and 30 x 5 flat bar.

1. Steel frame primed and painted

I used the four pre-existing mounting points the removed seat used to secure the frame, along with a rubber caster in the back right hand corner which presses against a raised section. For the bolt that runs down from the bracket on the single seat frame, I used a 70mm M10 titanium bolt from ProBolt.

2. Secured using pre-existing mounting points.

To secure the carpeted marine ply base, I used 35mm M6 alloy countersunk bolts going into weld on chimney nuts. Both of these items were procured from ProBolt as well. The 70mm titanium bolt attached to the seat bracket I spaced out using 2 x 25mm nulon suspension bushes.

3. Nulon suspension bush as spacer.

Finally as a tie down point for the fridge I used Ancra spring loaded quick disconnect fittings. With a load rating of 4000lbs each, its clear that the marine ply will break and the steel frame will bend long before these let go!

4. Bolted down with Ancra points in place.

5. Finished job.

No comments: