29 June 2012

UHF Extention Speaker

Howdy again all,

I've run into a paradox a while ago with my UHF and its internal speaker. When 4x4ing; nothing gets the blood pumping better than a good Joe Satriani solo, maybe some Steve Vai or Metallica cranked up; problem is you can barely hear your fellow 4x4ers on the radio.... Solution; add an external speaker!

Now I've been meaning to install an extention speaker for my UHF for a while now. In fact I bought the speaker unit about 2 months ago and have been to lazy (and not brave enough to go into the cold shed) to install it. Finally this evening, with a rum in hand, I braved the cold and got it done.

The unit is a GME SPK07 model as shown.

After a bit of scoping around, I found the best place to install it seemed to be in the passanger footwell under the glove box. There is a mount with two screws; I removed the foremost one and used that to mount the speaker bracket. With a bit of trimming of the spreaker bracket, it fits into the groove of the glove box mount snuggly.

After installing the speaker, it was a simple case of running the cable through a pre-existing conduit I had run, to the centre console where the UHF is.

1. GME SPK07

2. Dismantled centre console - access to the UHF radio

3. Speaker bracket installed under glove box
using pre-existing bolt

4. Speaker installed.