20 May 2012

Maglite LED Upgrade

I realised the other day (night actually), that LED torches are the wave of the future. I've got an LED headlamp from my days in the SES and my ARB LED Adventure light I got at Xmas 2011; but I always throw my trusty old mini Maglite in my pocket while roaming around camp. This Maglite uses the old school incandecent bulb, which is marginally brighter than a few candles.

Google to the rescue; I soon found overhaul kits for Maglites to convert them to LED. Two brands stood out as the clear leaders in the field; NiteIze and TerraLux. Because I wanted the most lumens from the torch, I went for the TerraLux Extreme upgrade kit which brings the torch to 140 lumens of output.

Its a very simple process to change over to LED; simply replace the bulb with the LED one provided and change out the reflector to the one provided in the kit. The output in comparison to the standard Maglite bulb is unreal, the photos below really don't do it justice.

Standard Maglite bulb.

TerraLux LED upgrade kit
Upgraded Maglite with TerraLux LED bulb.
So if you have a Maglite that you want to give a new lease on life; I'd highly recommend getting an LED upgrade kit.

1 comment:

simon said...

yes, and easy to carry in the storage box ahead of the steering wheel in the fj too!