26 May 2012

Interior Light Upgrade

Well it seems I'm going through a bit of an LED fetish phase at the moment. With the MagLite upgrade, Dually D2 reverse light, ARB Adventure Light and saving for a 40" Rigid Industries Light Bar for the roof rack; I might have to go to LED's Anonymous!
To feed my addiction this week, I decided to do what I would call one of the easiest and most valuable upgrades for the FJ; LEDs in the interior dome lights.

Very simple process really; jump on eBay and search for "48 SMD White LED Light Panel". If that's to tricky; I got mine from here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/48-SMD-White-LED-Light-Panel-T10-Festoon-Ba9s-Dome-12V-/270965668356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f16cffa04

Since these are from China and I couldn't be sure on the quality, at $3 a panel I just bought 4 of them. 2 for the car and 2 for the spares draw just in case.
The kits come with everything you need; the panel which has a 3M backing strip and three different festoon adapters (as seen in image 1). We'll use the spring loaded one for the FJ.

To install:
  1. Pop the clear plastic cover off the dome light using a small flat bladed screwdriver.
  2. Make sure the light is turned off and cool; I cooked my fingers on the incandescent the first time I did this!
  3. If the incandescent is cool; take it out and put it aside in your spares draw.
  4. Insert the spring loaded adapter; positive goes to the side with the tab (you'll know what I mean when you see it) or worst case grab a multimeter and check before hand.
  5. Once you've got the spring loaded adapter installed (the trickiest part of the install); plug the LED panel in and test it works.
  6. If all has gone well; position the wires into the space the festoon goes into, peel the backing off the sticky strip and attach it.
  7. Re-install the plastic cover
  8. Admire your handy work!
1. LED plate and components (ebay image)
2. OEM incandescent cab lighting

3. LED light panel installed

1 comment:

simon said...

I have tossed up the idea of improving the interior lights, however I like the dull yellow ( perhaps because I am older? and it reminds me of old cars! lol)