15 Apr 2012

TRD Workshop Stool

Since I've had nothing new to add to the FJ of late (waiting on bits on order; BajaRack, Warn XP 9.5S winch, etc) I decided to build a new workshop stool.

Using the plans from Miller Welding I built the square frames up to spec. When it came to the legs, I thought 550mm was a little short, so I made mine 700mm. End of the day, it'll come down to what you find comfortable.

For the seat, I used some 15mm hardwood I had laying around from another project, cut it to size (330x330), then rounded the corners and edges off. Once I was happy with that, drilled in 4 x 6mm holes to attach the seat, and countersunk them.

After cleaning up the welds with a grinder I primed the steel then sprayed the frame racing red. The wooden seat was also primed then sprayed satin black.

Once the seat had a couple of coats of paint and dried appropriately, it was time to add the piece de resistance; a TRD decal I had spare. With this centred on the stool seat, I finished it by adding a couple of clear coats to protect everything.

Now for those cheeky bastards wondering "what makes it a TRD stool", the answer besides the sticker is absolutely nothing. But I guess if I get bored I can always add a brake kit and supercharge it!

No comments: