19 Nov 2011

Tiger Bay Buggy Whip Install

So I've had a TigerBay Buggy Whip laying around the garage for a few months now, so I thought I'd get off my arse this weekend and install it!

Now, the TigerBay Whip is a break down version of two 1.25M lengths, making a 2.5M total whip. It comes with a quick detach base, which is like an oversize Nito air fitting and a brilliant idea for something that will be used on limited occasions. I also had Scott from TBBW to make me up an additional top, which was only 300mm. This top also had a flag and strobe, just like the main top; the shortened length was so I could also use the whip as the lead car on FJCC trips.

Components:
Installation:
  1. First, installation of the quick mount bracket. I used a rubber grommet in between my bull bar and the mount to save the paint work, not necessary, but I figured if I ever remove it, it'll be for the best. Use the supplied 1/2" washer and nut to secure it.
  2. The TigerBay whip has connectors on the whip at the joining locations to join the cable, however at the base, there is no connector, so you need to use whatever suits your need. For this I decided to use 15 Amp Anderson Power Pole connectors. Anderson fittings are renown in the 4x4ing world, but are normally the large 150-Amp+ fittings. I found PowerWerx supplied 15, 30 and 45 "mini" Anderson Plugs, which suited the job perfectly. They are also available with weather caps and "Blok-Lok" clamps to prevent them coming apart, ideal for the task ahead.
  3. Next, I ran 15-Amp power line from the Anderson Power Pole to my custom rocker switch and the return line to the aux battery distribution block. Fairly simple stuff, all lines were contained in split conduit for protection.
  4. Coming from the Anderson Power Pole on the car, I ran the negative line straight to the base of the TBBW quick connect base, which had a good earth. The connection was established with a crimp connection and a second 1/2" bolt which had the added benefit of acting as a lock nut.

1. 15-Amp Anderson PowerPole

2. Attached to the quick release coupling.

3. Shortened top, principally for club use.

4. Whip strobe rocker switch installed

5. Full length (2.5M) whip.



No comments: